Sunday, June 17, 2012

Natural Hair The End of Black Salon Culture?


 While browsing the internet I came across an article that brought up a lot of debate--“Is Natural Hair the End of Black Salon Culture?” I really thought this was an interesting question and wanted to share my point of view.
Source: NubianSouls Locks

Natural hair has grown as women of many ethnicities return to their born kinks and curls. However, I do not believe the increase of natural hair will be the end of “Black Salon Culture”. It is a valid statement that many naturals have not received the best experiences going to the salon and instead opt to do their hair themself. Yet, there are still women who continue to visit the salon, both, relaxed and natural to receive services, such as straightening, braids, extensions, and coloring that some women may not necessarily feel comfortable performing themselves. These women may choose to get their hair done at salons that are not traditionally considered “Black Hair Salons” like the Dominicans or salons that cater to a white clientele.


I personally transitioned to natural because I lacked the knowledge and skill to maintain my relaxed hair. While transitioning I actually sought out a hairdresser who could take care of my natural hair. I was not able to find who wouldn’t always encourage me to fry my hair with a pressing comb or charge more than the actual amount of the relaxer. This is a lost for black hair salons who lost me as valuable customer. For me, the benefit of the black hair salon culture does not outweigh the negatives of long waiting times, unhealthy hair, the cost, and leaving the salon unsatisfied with the results. It is important to remember that beauty salons are a business and must be run as an efficient one. In order for salons to survive the encroachment on its market it must adapt and cater to the needs of its clientele. Hairstylists should become better informed on natural hair terminology, how to maintain healthy relaxed hair, offer sulfate free and organic products, and increase their overall professionalism. Luckily, I used my natural hair as an opportunity to learn how to do my hair myself for the first time in my life and am enjoying the journey so far.



To read the full article click here.

1 comment:

  1. I agree if you cannot manage your relaxed hair or go to the salon every two weeks it is hard to "keep up" a nice healthy style that wont break off because of stress or improper hair care.-Sasha :)

    ReplyDelete