Thursday, June 21, 2012

DIY- Wicker Chest

I wanted a trunk or chest to store my bedding and still have the flexibility to bring it back to school in the fall. I found exactly what I was looking for online at Target:


One look at the price and I knew I could find it cheaper. I found a wicker chest in Goodwill for only $20. It was dirty, but the had solid bones. After a good wipe down and two bottles of spray paint it looks brand new. The amount of storage it holds is insane!  


Wicker Chest- Before

One coat of spray paint completed
Holds all of my bedding and towels for school
In love with the name of the color-- Robin's Egg Blue


Tips for buying second hand furniture:
  • Look beyond the outer appearance. After something is thoroughly cleaned it will look brand new.
  • Remember wood can always be sanded, stained, and repainted.
  • As long as the furniture has good bones (ie. no rotting wood or broken frames) than there is potential.
  • Always leave the furniture outside or in the garage until after cleaned. You do not want any uninvited guests entering your home!


No comments:

Post a Comment