Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Protective Style- Braids

So exactly what is a Protective Style?

Protective Styling consist of hairstyles that protect the ends of your from the elements (sun, wind, etc.) and from over manipulation (like constant combing and twisting). Examples of protective styling are full sew-ins (with no hair left out), wigs, and, my favorite, braids!

Weaves are nice, but I personally refuse to spend that much money purchasing someone else's hair.
Maybe this will change in the future... Wigs are another great protective style option. I have the fear of wearing a wig and one of my friends snatching it off my head running away with it like its a prize. I know it's a silly fear, but this has kept me from experimenting with wigs.

That  only leaves braids as protective style for me. I love braids! <3 Braids give me the sense of freedom allowing access to my scalp to wash and scratch  head. I transition from natural to relaxed with braids. Braids are so versatile and come in so many styles.

Kinky Twist


Senegalese Twist

I use to get Senegalese Twist all the time when I was relaxed and LOVED THEM! I got them done once when I was natural and wasn't feeling. The smooth texture of the twist did not blend in well with my natural hair after about three weeks.



Micro-braids (with curly hair)

These are probably my favorite type of braids so far. They take the least amount of time out all of the braids I have gotten because you are only braiding the length of your natural hair. These braids last a long time. I was able to stretch them to almost three months. 




 Poetic Justice Braids/Box Braids

My cousin, Robyn, rocking large individual box braids, also known as Poetic Justice Braids. She is currently transitioning! 







Cornrows

My little sister Noelle (6). Her hair is cornrowed into a half up/half down hairstyle.



My Mother with two rows of cornrows

 


                    
Cornrows combined with Individual Braids 



My little sister Alexis (10). Alexis' hair is cornrowed to one side with individual braids on the side.


**************

There are so many more different types of braid hairstyles that I still want to try. Tree braids, Nubian Twist, Crotchet Braids...the list goes on. Just by changing the type of hair that you use can give your braids a completely different appearance. My next personal look that I can't to try are Spring Twist!



My friend, Tonyette, rocking Spring Twist. Check out her blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment